05 August, 2009

How Have I Never Read This Before?

Oh my word, I'm not even half way done but I love it already.  It makes me want to drop everything and write a novel in one sitting.  I thought it was going to be dark and twisty like all his other books.  I've never actually read a Stephen King novel (but I HAVE stayed at the Stanley Hotel, where he was inspired to write The Shining.  It's very creepy).  This is so far removed what I imagine his others are like though.  It's part memoir, part instructional.  He has a really down to earth view on writing and gives wonderful advice like:
"... put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn't in the middle of the room.  Life isn't a support-system for art.  It's the other way around."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about reading this book for a long while. After your sparkling review I think I'll get it next time I'm book shopping :)

Thanks!

x

Sarah said...

Great! Let me know what you think of it when you've finished :)