21 May, 2009

Day 1

Social Networking.  You are like heroine to me.  I need you in my veins hourly, injecting into me the sweet sweet release of knowing what exactly everyone is doing at the exact time they are doing it.  What is this fascination I’ve developed with the movements of others?  Why do I torture myself with attaining information I neither need nor want.  But I do want it, in a sick masochistic way, I want to burden my shoulders with the details of the new girlfriend, or with the song lyrics that may or may not be addressing me.  


That, right there, is why I had to let it all go.  I had to break this sick addiction of social networking.  Who knew a whole new vice could develop out of a simple need to keep up with old classmates and lost friends.  If there was such a thing as Social Networkers Anonymous, I’d join... and then I’d tweet about it.  Last night at around 11pm Mountain Standard time, my roommate Jackie switched all my passwords.  I can no longer log into Facebook, Myspace, or Twitter.  Not only do I not know what all of you beautiful people are doing, but you don’t know what I’m doing at any given moment of the day.  This, shockingly, is really affecting me.  I feel like I’m missing out on so many happenings.  Pictures are being uploaded, links are being posted, events are being created, John Mayer is saying embarrassing things and I am not privy to any of it!  And what’s worse, I feel like I am disappearing because I cannot inform my classmates, family, and strangers of what I had for lunch, the funny thing I heard on the radio, or how my night went.  Have I really linked my identity to my facebook page?  Have I fooled myself into believing that if my page does not exist, neither do I?  Will I simply slip away, out of the interworking of the world wide web, and perhaps out of real life too?  Or other people's perception of real life as dictated by the status gods.  Disconnecting myself from my facebook page and twitter status is important, and realizing life is too short to spend it “checking in” on people I should’ve left behind long ago is even more important.


So through a passing comment in a blog that crushed any fond memories I had of someone from my past, I came to see how much my self destructive behavior can truly damage who I am today.


Fare-thee-well Facebook and Friends.  I will see you in August.

No comments: