22 May, 2009

Summer Reading List


Here's an incomplete list of what I hope to read through this summer.  I'm such a slow reader I probably won't even get through half, but we'll see.  I'll be posting my thoughts on each as I finish them.

Searching for God Knows What- Donald Miller
     Currently reading this.  It's tough but I'm about half way done.
Through Painted Deserts- Donald Miller
The Power of One- Bryce Courtenay
Catcher in the Rye- JD Salinger
Sex God- Rob Bell
Unchristian- David Kinnaman
Traveling Mercies- Ann Lamott
Purpose for the Pain- Renee Yohe
Harry Potter- All of them
     Definitely going to take more than the summer
The City of Dreaming Books- Walter Moers
Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
On The Road- Jack Kerouac
The Paris Review Interviews, vol. 1
     A dear friend of mine loaned this to me a long time ago and I have yet to open it.  I feel horrible about that.
Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
A Little Princes-  Frances Hodgson Burnett
     I need a new copy of this.  Mine is falling apart.  My favorite book by far.
The Joy Luck Club- Amy Tan
The Secret Life of Bees- Sue Monk Kidd
My Antonia- Willa Cather
She's Come Undone- Wally Lamb
Me Talk Pretty One Day- David Sedaris
People of the Whale- Linda Hogan
Captivating- John and Staci Eldredge
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love- Ray Carver
The Blue Cotton Gown- Patricia Harman
A Light in the Attic- Shel Silverstein

Suggestions are very much welcome :)

I ran across a lovely little gem created by the Aussies.  Frankie Magazine is an awesome little publication that I unfortunately cannot afford to have delivered to the states, but the website is fun all the same.

Last suggestion of the day- Go listen to Sia if you're into female singer songwriters.  She can be likened to Missy Higgins, Regina Spektor, etc.  The tone of her voice is much like Allison's from A Fine Frenzy, but the style is a bit different.  Enjoy and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Amber said...

I love Frankie magazine! It is great. Most of my friends bag me out for reading it, but I definitely enjoy it. Such interesting little quirky stories and interviews.

I've just started reading Jack Kerouac's On the Road. I was REALLY excited about it, but just 30 pages in i'm not so excited anymore. Fingers crossed it gets better. David Sedaris is the best in the whole world full stop.

Sarah said...

I pretty much want to read it because he travels through Denver (where I'm living) and talks mentions a lot of well known places around here. It'll make driving around the city that much more fun. But let me know if it's dull, maybe I'll just skip to the bits about denver ;)

E said...

I've just come across this post of your's and of course, have to add my two cents worth!

Sia has been a favourite of mine for about the last six months - she's got the most amazing voice. Her video for 'Soon We'll Be Found' is amazing - much better than Beyonce and Taylor Swift! (Oh yeah, I'll take Kanye on)

As for the books, it's a total cliche but 'Catcher in the Rye' is one of my absolute favourites. Ever. Also, I recommend you add 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. I read it recently and it's probably the most original (but readable) books I've come across. Loved loved loved it.