01 October, 2009

May Be Pan Handling Soon


Don't let that pretty picture of the skinny girl twirling in the sunlight deceive you. This is not going to be a cheerful post. Remember how I swore this blog would not turn into a black hole where all my frustrations and negativity would come to lay their sweet little heads? Yeah well fuck it. I'm in a bad mood... again.

But before we get into it, I'll hold up my end of the deal:




There ya go. I hope that made you all fuzzy inside because I'm quite sure those delicious and adorable/ridiculous cupcakes (and the fact that they are not right in front of me to help induce a sugar coma) are pissing me off even more. And that DRESS?? Good Lord it's beautiful. With taxes and shipping and it's more than $400. Where does Anthropologie get off charging that much for their shit? Granted it's beautiful shit, but can someone please explain to me what makes that dress, and it's serious lack of fabric, worth $400?

Speaking of money... Fuck this recession. Let me tell you a story.

My boss came home yesterday in a bit of a tizzy. She and her husband own their own business. I don't totally understand it but basically the go to foreclosed homes and perform evictions and clean out the houses for the banks. Maybe. I usually just nod my head and say "hmm" and "ah" when she talks about it. The one thing I DO understand is that they're barely holding their heads above water. A while ago she gave me my check and told me the next day that that if I cashed it, it would most likely bounce. That was a low point. After that little episode I heard less and less about money and business problems and assumed things were on the up and up. I mean, I'm the fucking babysitter, I'm supposed to be concerned about the glue supply and whether or not we have colored pasta for the macaroni necklaces we're making Tuesday. I wasn't going to go out of my way to hear how close I came to not getting a pay check on any given month.

So anyway, back to yesterday. My boss comes home and says "We can't pay our rent at the office so we're moving out and not telling the land lord." Raise your hand if you think that's an AWESOME idea! She may have the business degree and I may only be a lowly creative writing major, but I'm pretty sure this plan is going to back fire at some point. Backfire as in lawsuit. And if they can't pay their rent, how the hell are they going to afford a lawyer and a settlement?? I suppose they could just let their nanny go and save about $1000 a month.

Who would like to guess where they are relocating since they're backing out of their lease and not operating out of an office now? If you guessed their home, you'd be right! Yes, folks, my boss will be setting up an office in the living room and her husband and three other guys will be moving into the garage. The garage isn't such a big deal, as long as they stay out there and don't come in and mess with the kids. I'm foreseeing a lot of tears and interruptions. The living room situation, though, is absolutely NOT going to work. This house is tiny. Basically the only place those kids have to play is the living room. So my homework for the weekend is to figure out how to not be home as much as possible.

I was driving to school today and thinking, could I just let them go? Could I move on to a new family, with a steady job (do those exist these days?) and a normal living situation. I could let my bosses go. It would be sad, but I could. Adults are easy to move on from. But then those little faces started to pop up in my mind and I realized there is not way in hell I can quit. It would be like driving away from my own children. I've been with them for almost a year and even those they drive me effing batty, I love them more than I've loved anybody. It's so weird and I've never realized it until today when the thought of having to leave them, not see them everyday, left me crying on the freeway.

But all of that means nothing if their company goes bankrupt and they have to end up paying legal fees, oh and I'd be out of a job. Fuck this recession.

PS- When I left today, after getting a crash course in what my new life and schedule with the kids is going to be, my boss said "And you're going to have to start taking the trash out on Thursdays because we can't remember. We have to all start pitching in." Oh, sure, when I'm not making sure your kids aren't killing themselves, are culturally enriched and engaged, and well fed, vacuuming the nooks and crannies, cleaning the ever-destroyed kitchen, doing all of the laundry (yes even the adult's underwear and sexy time clothes), then I would LOVE to take out a trash can that is twice my size and in a spot where you have to cross treacherous terrain to get it out to the curb. Seriously, a line has to be drawn somewhere, right?

1 comment:

Pen Pen said...

This kinda sounds like bullshit! You should find another family to nanny for before u leave and then take off! The kids are important to you(I totally understand!), but it sounds like they could have their floor pulled from under them any day and you'd be out of a job! U should have a backup at least!!

AND- :) I like that u cuss AND that ur a Christian! I'm in that same boat and get crap about it ALL the time!! I was raised SOUTHERN Baptist and write thriller/horror fiction...people have trouble with it! :)