09 January, 2010

Obsessing


I'm on a classic literature kick. Once I finished Pride and Prejudice I couldn't stop saying "thither" and "Daawwcy" all British-like. I'm alternating Austen with the Brontes (sorry, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to put those two dots on top of the E). I'm currently getting to know a young woman by the name of Eyre. It's amazing how the differences in their styles so clearly show the great differences in these young women's lives.

Despite being nearly destitute, I was walking past a bookstore the other day and popped in for a quick look and perhaps a bargain purchase or two. I came out with these. I know you've all seen the pictures by now. They've finally found a prize spot on my book shelf. I don't even remember enjoying the Scarlet Letter the first time I read it, but how could I not buy it?



I dare say Miss Austen is giving me false hopes for ever finding a chivalrous man with whom I can make love, as they meant in their time. If he is not a tragically flawed, socially inept, despicable man with genuine intentions, a quiet sense of responsibility, noble air and gentle yet serious way of loving (not to mention an awesome house and loads of money), I simply cannot bring myself to give him a second look. PS, have you seen this movie? It's three hours long but I loved every moment. It's clever and hilarious. If you have instant watch on Netflix, stop what you're doing and go watch it. If not, let me know. You can borrow my copy.
This trailer is a bit dodgy. If you want to watch a better one click here.

2 comments:

E said...

That's so funny, so am I! (on a literature kick, that is) I'm reading Wuthering Heights and have Jane Eyre and The Hound of the Baskervilles on my bedside table. I think I finally read myself sick of chick lit. (Thank God!)

Sarah said...

I mean... it's no Harry Potter but I guess it'll do ;)
Jane Eyre is slow going thus far. I'm not getting into Miss Bronte as much as I did Austen. I have a feeling that makes me vapid or something...