12 January, 2010

See You when We Sleep


I dreamt about Mr. Long Distance last night. It's been a long time since that's happened. I was throwing a party in my basement. The particulars are a little hazy but I remember a DJ, disco balls and flashing lights. LD came in with a friend and his girlfriend. She was really trashy so at least my subconscious afforded me that much. She had that super long faded brown hair that was in desperate need of a hydrating treatment and shorty short dress that disagreed with her thighs immensely.

At the end of the party Roommate and I were cleaning up and she said he had stayed and was asleep in the chair. The one lone chair in the middle of the basement. It was brown corduroy with a bit of a wing back and a skirt around the bottom. Something your grandmother may rock herself to sleep in every afternoon after lunch and she watches her stories.

He was indeed passed out, curled in a little ball, his head propped up a little with his fist and his face in a bit of a dreamlike pout. I brought him over a blanket ands started unfolding it. My hand reached for his hair and as I ran my fingers through it, I began to weep. He woke up, looked at me blankly and said he had a phone interview soon. I nodded, left him with the blanket and went to my room.

Would you suggest I seek therapy if I said this was just as comforting as it was depressing?

1 comment:

E said...

Our subconscious has a lot to answer for, that's for damn sure.