28 June, 2009

Lipgloss


I went to Lipgloss Friday night for their 8th Anniversary.  For those of you not from Denver, Lipgloss is the hipster-ist of hipster hangouts on Friday nights, only rivaled by Rock Bar and the Shag Lounge, which is really only fun on Thursdays and Sundays (they give you 40s in paper bags.  It's a classy joint). 

What I love about Lipgloss is that people go there to dance, not to hook up, and not to grind on each other unabashedly.  I can go and not worry about some creepy guy rubbin' up on me from behind.  Hipster dancing, as it turns out, is very solitary (and you must pretend like you are way too cool for the place, the song, and the people, but you graced them with your presence anyway).  They play indie brit pop and you can dress in ridiculous garb, they encourage it actually.  

We go there a lot and have gotten our pictures on their website from time to time, but this most recent visit I am most proud of.  We had so much fun in our 80s get ups!  All of them were second hand.  My dress (I'm in the middle) cost about 6 dollars at the good will.  Roomate is on my left and hers is absolutely an 80s prom dress.  She found it at the good will too for 3 dollars I think.  My friend on the right got hers at Buffalo Exchange (no idea how much).  She looked like a mermaid.  I forgot how fun it is to get all dolled up in costumes.  This is definitely something that needs to happen more often.  
My sun glasses, by the way, flipped up to reveal clear glasses underneath.  They were a big hit. 

2 comments:

Mandy said...

That place sounds awesome!
If I ever go to Denver I for sure will visit.

Anonymous said...

what a cute blog! would you like to link exchange on our blogs?